Thursday, November 8, 2007

Thing 18/On-line Productivity Tools

We already use Open Office which is an on-line application. They certainly have their merit since no software is needed and you don't have to constantly worry about updating. I was reluctant to let go of Microsoft Word but after using Open Office I really don't miss it except when I try to do a spreadsheet. I have gotten familiar with Excel and even though I don't use it often, I could figure it out. OpenOffice Calc has a few quirks that I still haven't worked through.
I did sign up for Google Docs and played with it for a while. I created a document and edited and moved it etc. and it works pretty much the same. The layout is different but it would just take some getting used to. The calendar feature was easy to navigate too. The best part about these Web tools is that they are a great cost saving and you avoid the hassle of updating. I give them a thumbs up. Here's one of the documents I created with Google Docs.

I'm trying out this new on-line application for creating documents.
We currently use Open Office and I found that OO is very easy to use.
I'd like to play with Google Docs to compare.
The layout is certainly different but let's see what it does.

No comments: