Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thing 8 RSS feeds and Bloglines

I already knew a little about RSS feeds because we use them here at HCL so customers can get information on our collection and get alerts about new items. I just didn't realize there was such a vast number of feeds. You can spend hours scrolling through them. I subscribed to about 8 that interested me or were related to my hobbies. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed in the quality of the information I have been receiving so I may have to unsubscribe and find others. This is time consuming, so I'll put it off for another day. On the other hand, I like the 3 or 4 news feeds I captured. I may never have to read a newspaper again. I like the highlights and it does save time. It could get quite overwhelming if you subscribed to a lot of them though. It comes under the heading of too much information. The Library feeds I looked at were informative.
Setting up the newsreader with bloglines was fairly simple. I have one with Yahoo that was set up some time ago but I don't remember how that set up compared.

No comments: